Pages

Thursday, January 21, 2016

NASA's Space Garden

Well, NASA's done it.  There are now officially space flowers that can grow "from seed to maturity" (CBC) outside our atmosphere.  One of my resolutions this year is to get better at gardening/gardening-related things, and while I'm super excited that there are space flowers, I'm also realizing that their existence renders any excuses I have for garden fails significantly less legitimate.

U.S. astronaut Scott Kelly tweeted a photo of his orange success, a zero gravity salad-worthy zinnia from the International Space Station's veggie lab.

Anyway, about the space flowers.  They're beautiful orange zinnias, and they mark a brilliant success following several very sad plant deaths :(.  Of course, plants have been grown in space before, but, as I mentioned above, these ones grew from seed to adulthood entirely in space.  It's pretty poetic, isn't it?  I mean, space flowers! Space. Flowers.  I just keep thinking about it over and over again, like the existence of a "space garden" somehow means everything's going to be alright.  Flowers (and all plants in general) are very impressive and inspiring, aren't they? I mean, they die every winter and come back every spring, and now they live in space, too.  If you're feeling down today, remember that.  There are flowers in space.  They're up there, watching over you.

<3 Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment