Pages

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Dedications, Jane Austen, and Writer's Block


Yesterday, my great-grandmother--someone that I wholeheartedly love and admire--passed on to be with my grandmother.  Along with my mother, they are my biggest influences in life, and they inspired inspire so much of what I write about. I don't feel at the liberty to call myself "a writer" because, quite frankly, I haven't completed anything that wasn't a school assignment (or a blog post, lol) in a while, but I'm working on being more prolific and efficient and trying to get less distracted. I think one of the things that makes writing so difficult for me is my inclination to write about very heavy topics.  Historical fiction is the genre I spend most of my time working with, and the historical times I focus on are typically depressing and tragic, and I tend to feel incapable of writing anything meaningful enough to capture all the pain and suffering of the past.  But I'm working on that.

Of all the literary worlds to disappear into in times of heartache, Jane Austen's remains one of my favorites.  Sense & Sensibility got me through turbulent airplane rides and homesickness, and quoting Lizzy Bennet lets me pretend to be much more independent and self-assured than I actually am. And Austen's stories are markedly less depressing and dark than some of my other most-loved reading selections (i.e. the works of the Bronte Sisters, wartime tragedies, etc.).  Because of this, I'm incredibly excited to be reading Pride & Prejudice as my last novel of my last semester of high school. I started it once when I was in fifth grade but never finished it, and I'm determined to finish it all the way through now.  With that in mind, here is a little springtime style inspiration straight from Miss Austen's universe:


janeaustensworld.wordpress.com

"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."                                                                                                                                                      More:
ceciliaroselee.blogspot.com 

Regency-Women Set 8 | Richard Jenkins Photography:
rjenkins.co.uk

Regency Wedding Dress by Andrea Galer - Handmade.  "Designed by Andrea Galer, Award -winning designer who has created the costumes for ITV's Persuasion (2007), BBC's Miss Austen Regrets (2007) and the film Mansfield Park (1999) to name but a few." So floaty and ethereal and romantic!! love it!!!:
dianegaston.com

Movie Costumes I’d Actually Wear: Part 1 » Formidable Courage:
formidablecourage.com 


<3 Frances

No comments:

Post a Comment