Pages

Monday, March 1, 2021

Mental Shifts for Eating Disorder Recovery


I recently wrote about recovering from a relapse, and after a rough few days, I prayed for the strength to do what I need to do to heal so that I can show up as the most loving, present version of myself as a daughter, teacher, sister, and friend. Moving out of my head and my worries about myself and into a place of love for others always helps me when the anorexia voice is yelling at me. Anorexia wants to isolate you. I'm very much an introvert, but trust me--the isolation that anorexia offers you isn't pleasant quiet time with a good book. Rather, it's time alone with a bully.

When I woke up last Sunday (the first day of NEDA Week), I set the intention to do my best at making recovery-focused choices and getting back into the headspace I was in over the summer. And that was when I remembered the simple mindset shift I'd experienced last year--that recovery doesn't have to be hard.

Is it hard? Yes! Of course. But in my head, I try to set the intention for it not to be.

I still have to challenge myself, and I still feel scared, overwhelmed, and worried a lot. But I'm doing my best to act as though I'm not scared, overwhelmed, or worried. If I'm hungry but the anorexia voice is telling me to fast until lunch "because then lunch will be more rewarding," I choose joy over pain and have a snack. Which is awesome! Recovery means making choices that--even if they feel uncomfortable at first--will ultimately make you feel better. 

Drinking the night shake doesn't always come naturally to me, and sometimes, I'd rather not drink it. But I know that--in the end--it is the healthy choice. Not "healthy" in the convoluted, green drinks-only way. "Healthy" in the authentic, balanced, happy way that involves everything from eating a veggie stir-fry to dunking an Oreo in milk just to find out what all the hype is about. 


<3 Frances


Images from Giphy.

No comments:

Post a Comment